As I sit here in my apartment and reflect on my day thus far, I truly am amazed by how great it has been.  Maybe that’s partly because I don’t have the MCAT lurking over my thoughts, but today has been an exceptional day nevertheless.  Speaking of the MCAT, I believe it went really well!  Now if only my opinion of how I did on the test can translate into a good score, that’d be great.  Keep your fingers crossed…

To be honest, when I sat down at my desk this morning, it took me about five minutes to figure out what in the world I had been working on last week.  It had only been three days, but it felt like much longer.  I looked to see that I had a meeting with Mark at 9:00, which was of concern since I had trouble remembering the task at hand, let alone the fact that I usually have a lot of work to do to compile everything for meetings.

Luckily, the event on my calendar was labeled and I found that we were discussing a drug that could be a definite possibility for Novo Nordisk to seek out potential opportunities to partner with the current company.  The meeting went well, despite my earlier confusion, and I learned a lot about the legal system behind pharmaceutical companies.  I typically see things from more the science side, so it was eye-opening to realize how important legalities are to making or breaking a company.  For example, if a company sells a multi-million dollar drug but has one of the fifteen responsible for the development incorrectly listed as the inventor, the entire patent can be revoked.  Therefore, lawyers are very essential aspects of companies like Novo Nordisk.

I had really good conversations with Mark, and daily I find more and more enjoyment from his sense of humor.  Case in point, I couldn’t quite scroll up during a point in our meeting, and Mark remarked, The MCAT didn’t have a section dedicated to mouse scrolling skills, did it?  When I laughed and said there wasn’t, he smiled and replied, Probably better that way, huh?

My morning continued to go well as I went into tissue culture.  I put on my blue lab coat, and Mark handed me a pair of gloves.  To my astonishment, I was actually able to do some lab work instead of watching Mark.  Joe, the coworker that took me to the fireworks on the 4th, needed some of the retinal cells to be prepped.  I got to count cells, transfer media, calculate some numbers, and learn a lot along the way.

The last point I want to make regarding how good my day was is regarding a link that Mark sent me.  I would strongly encourage everyone to read this article, which is found at  This article was about Charlie Kimball, an IndyCar race car driver with type-one diabetes.  Truthfully, this is one of the best articles I’ve ever read concerning how one’s life changed because of diabetes.  One of the quotes that stuck out to me was,

Ask any person with Type 1 diabetes out there, if they had the opportunity to give back their diabetes, would they? And just about everyone would say they would. But I can’t say that. I know it sounds weird, but I think I’m very fortunate to have diabetes. The diabetes community is a strong, caring one, and the support I get from it is overwhelming. The disease has also given me another purpose: to share my story and help educate and inspire others.

I believe, like Kimball, that diabetes has provided me with a greater purpose than I could have ever imagined.  It has shown me so much about life, and for that I couldn’t be more thankful.  The way I see it, we are dealt a certain hand in life.  It’s up to us to make the most of it.

Forever grateful,